Acceptance of What Is by Wayne Liquorman

Advaita guru Wayne Liquorman has written a great primer on nonduality with Acceptance of What Is. I believe that Wayne wrote this book after writing No Way, his book of poems penned under the name Ram Tzu, but I may be wrong. Anyway, it is regarded as the best introduction to Liquorman's brand of Advaita Teaching.

One of the most memorable passages is when Wayne likens the belief in egoic autonomy to being on a boat ride at Disneyland. You're floating along, the fake animals on either shore or doing their own automated thing, and you turn the wheel to the left -- and the boat turns left. Amazing! You turn the wheel right -- and the boat turns right with you. You think, "I can turn this boat wherever I want." So you turn the wheel to the left again, but this time the boat turns right. The robotic monkeys laugh at you, you think, and you're forced to start to question the belief that you're actually controlling this boat.

This example highlights the theme that is overarchingly pounded out throughout much of the book: Your belief that you are the source of anything, including your own actions, is not true. And furthermore, the belief (which like everything else is not your fault) is the cause of your suffering.

Wayne's message can actually be aggravating. He refuses to advocate any practice whatsoever. And he just refuses to give the ego anything whatsoever to hold on to, which is I believe a sign that the Teaching is true. Paraphrasing from No Way: "Ram Tzu loves you too much to feed your ego."

I highly recommend Acceptance of What Is to both the Advaita newcomer and the Advaita old-timer. I was fairly well-versed in the nondual message by the time I bought Acceptance but it hit me in much the same way Ramesh Balsekar's Who Cares? hit me, in a slightly conceptual but mostly intuitive way. If it is your time to resonate with this book then it is just your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment